John Cowan and His Family
By Richard O. Cowan
John Cowan, father of the earliest Cowan family to be converted to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, was born in Campsie, Stirling, Scotland on 2 August 1782; he was the son of James and Mary Cowan.
The Campsie Parish was situated in a comparatively isolated valley in the Scottish midlands. It was bounded on the north by the 1500 foot Campsie Fells (hills) "with numerous glens of exquisite beauty exhibiting a profusion of romantic scenery on their rocky sides." During the early 19th century, the parish's population was about 6500 of [which] 2800 were in Lennoxtown, where John Cowan and his family lived. Dairying was important because the area was located only about 12 miles northeast of Glasgow. Weaving, however, was the main industry. The Lennox textile mill in the center of the parish was the largest in Scotland at the time and employed 700 in printing cotton calico. Official records identify John Cowan as a weaver. According to one family tradition, he made "fine textiles, and among his finished products were lace curtains and other decorative articles."
John married Agnes Barrie on 7 August 1808. She was also born in Campsie, in 1785. Ten children were born to this couple, all in Campsie:
William 1811-bef. 1821
Three of them (the first William, John, and the first Alexander) died in infancy or childhood. When a baby died, it was not uncommon in Scotland to give the same name to a subsequent child. Little more is known about Mary. The other six (James, Robert, Margaret, the second William, Andrew, and the second Alexander) eventually [immigrated] with their parents to America.
By the early 1830s two of the Cowan children were married. On 23 January 1830 James, the oldest son, and Janet Brown, who was also from Campsie, "gave in their names" for the proclamation of "banns" (a public announcement of the intention to marry). They would become the parents of five children, all born in Campsie between 1831 and 1844. Margaret, the Cowans' fourth child and first daughter, married James Henderson, a calico printer from the Campsie parish village of Kincaid. Their first child, Agness, was born in Campsie in 1833; four more children were born in England between about 1836 and 1846.
Robert Cowan, the third son, went about 200 miles south to Manchester, England, perhaps in search of work. Manchester, like Campsie, was a textile manufacturing center though on a much larger scale. While there he met and on 8 September 1835 married Hannah Dickinson Fairclough, who had been born at Manchester in 1798  (so was more than 12 years his senior). She was the widow of James Fairclough by whom she had at least four children, Mary Ann, James, Sarah, and Peter, born in Manchester between 1821 and 1832. No records of children being born to Robert and Hannah have been found.
Twenty-year-old Mary Ann Fairclough was baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints on 18 July 1841. Her stepfather Robert Cowan was baptized just three weeks later. Thus he became the first in the Cowan family to accept the restored gospel.
Robert received his Patriarchal Blessing in Manchester in November 1841 and was told he was of the lineage of Abraham. Manchester Branch records indicate Robert's residence was at "Swallows Place" and the Hannah Cowan later moved from the branch to Scotland (probably accompanying her new husband back to his home).
Upon returning to Scotland from England, Robert and Hannah likely shared their newly found faith with the rest of the family. By 1842 Robert's mother, Agnes, and his brother William were baptized. Other Cowan family members followed. The father, John, apparently was the last to join, being baptized in August of 1849. The missionary who taught them the gospel was Elder David Wilkie. In March, 1842, he reported from Glasgow that he had debated with a minister and that he had labored "a few Sabbaths" in Campsie "where several had been baptized." Between 1842 and 1849 the membership in the small LDS Campsie Branch fluctuated from 16 to 39, with no more than 3 holding the Melchizedek Priesthood. About 19 were members or future members of the extended Cowan family.
Like thousands of other British converts, the Cowans heeded the call to "gather to Zion." They sailed for America in 1849 on the square-rigger James Pennell . It had been built just the year before at Brunswick, Maine, displaced 571 tons, and measured 137 feet long by 30 feet wide. The following were included among the ship's passengers: James Cowan 40, a weaver (the oldest son in the family), Jane 42 (his wife), and their children James17, Mary 12, Agnes 10, and Robert 3; Robert 38, a calico printer (the second son), and his wife Hannah 48, Peter Fairclough 16, a laborer, and James Fairclough 25, a mechanic (Hannah's children by her former marriage); Ann Smellie 25 (Andrew's Fiancé, although curiously Andrew himself is not listed); and Cecilia Brown 39 (James Cowan's sister-in-law). Other family members also came to America, but no records have been found to confirm the exact date of their crossing the Atlantic. It is possible that some of the men signed on as crew members so were not listed among the passengers. Yet others, including Mary (the Cowan's sixth child), Robert's stepdaughters May Ann and Sarah Fairclough, as well as Margaret's husband, James Henderson, and their oldest daughter Agness, probably remained in Britain.
Some of the passengers arrived in Liverpool on 30 August, two days before they were to board the ship, and stopped at the Music Hall "which had been rented for the reception of the ship's passengers," until the James Pennell was ready for them. All went aboard on Saturday 1 September. All together there were about 250 saints, about 100 (including the Cowans) from Scotland. "All are filled with the spirit of the gospel, and working in harmony with each other," one passenger wrote. "Some are lashing their trunks so they would not tumble about at sea, others are preparing their berths and some of them have already begun cooking." Church authorities had appointed Thomas H. Clark to preside over the company. The hold of the ship was divided into "districts, with a superintendent over each. Whose duty it is to keep order, call to prayers at proper times, and look after the cleanliness of his district, and the health and welfare of the same. Thus the whole company are well provided for, and peace reigns supreme."
The following morning, Sunday, 2 September 1849, the ship left the dock: "A tug was made fast to us to take us down the Mersey. The company nearly all of whom are on deck are singing. The gallant ship is under way and followed by other stirring hymns, after being towed a few miles, we set sail, with a stiff and fair breeze. I should think there was never a more happy company pass out from the docks of Liverpool."
On the third day the James Pennell cleared the coast of Ireland and entered the open sea. Some of the passengers became seasick. Captain James Fullerton was "vigilant, careful, sympathetic with the sick and kind to all." He had some pigs and chickens killed to provide fresh meat "for the benefit of the sick." Although there was often "a fair breeze," the ship was sometimes becalmed. Nevertheless, there was never "any grumbling or complaint."
"We have a good violinist and accordion player on board, and also a number of good singers and every night before or after prayers, we have a very enjoyable time." They even celebrated the first day of autumn. The captain deliberately steered the ship fifty miles out of the way "in order to keep the ship upright on an even keel" so the passengers could enjoy a good dance. Unfortunately, however, a storm in the Gulf of Mexico caused the ship to lose its "mizzen top mast."
On Saturday evening, 20 October, after seven weeks at sea, the passengers saw what appeared to be smoke on the horizon. Soon they discovered its source. "She is a tugboat, coming towards us and soon our tow line is out and made fast to her, and we are towed over the Bar of the southwest pass, and cast anchor in the Mississippi River. How pleasant it is to be where we can see land, surrounding us, especially with the prospect of again being soon privileged to kick up our heels on terra firma." The tugboat then went back out to sea to bring in a second ship, the Berlin . "It is now midnight very few persons have gone to bed. The tugboat has just arrived with the other ship, we are then made fast to one on each side of the tug and away we start up the river.
"As soon as daylight appears, the passengers may most of the be found on the quarter deck or along the sides of the ship, their countenances beaming with joy, as they look over the bulwarks at the beautiful plantations and orange groves, which are situated on each side of the river." Early on Monday morning, 22 October 1849 the ship was tied up at a levee in New Orleans' third district.
Upon arriving in New Orleans, the immigrant company's leader, Thomas Clark, made the following report to European Mission President Orson Pratt:
SHIP JAMES PENNELL, NEW ORLEANS, OCTOBER 22, 1849
Dear Brother Pratt,--I feel it my duty to inform you of my safe arrival at New Orleans, and also a small sketch of our journey across the sea. Brother Barlow and Brother Alrin were chosen as my two counselors. I ordained brother Arlin to the office of an elder, and then formed the company into ten divisions, with a president over each, to see that cleanliness and good order were kept, and also prayers every night and morning. We had preaching, and administered the sacrament every Sabbath, and also preaching Tuesdays and Thursdays. The officers also stood to their post, as men of God, so that all was peace and harmony during the time.
There has been but very little sickness on board. We lost three children, which were weaned just before they were brought on board; all the rest of the babes have done well. I think it would be well to inform the Saints not to wean their children just as they come; for if they do, they will be likely to lose them before they get across.
Captain James Fullerton is, I think as kind a captain as ever crossed the sea, and has been very kind to us; he has granted us every privilege which he possibly could, and made us many presents; his officers and crew were all very kind to us. The captain is a good man, and worthy to bring companies over. The ship is a good sailing vessel. We were just seven weeks crossing, and our passage was more like a pleasure trip than a sea voyage.
The Saints are all in good health and spirits, and most of those that are going to stay here, have obtained work already.
I have again proved you to be a man of God, for every word you said, when you blessed me, the night before we set sail, has been fulfilled to the very letter.
The Saints return you a vote of thanks for the good outfit you gave us, and for the quantity and quality of the same, which was good.
Brother McKenzie has met us, and has done well in helping us. He has taken a boat to sail to-morrow for St. Louis; and has also taken houses for the Saints that stay here. He has brought cheering news from the [Council] Bluffs and also from the [Salt Lake] Valley. They have published the arrival of our vessel in the news, and consider it the most respectable and well behaved company that ever entered Orleans.
Please to give my kind respects to sister Pratt, and all the family, and the Saints. May the God of heaven bless and preserve all his Saints, is the prayer of your brother in the Gospel of Christ.
Thomas H. Clark, President
P.S. The ship Berlin arrived the same day, and has lost forty-three of the passengers with the cholera.
All records agree that no adults died en route aboard the James Pennell , an unusual circumstance.
Some of the Saints remained in New Orleans, but the majority (probably including the Cowans) soon left for St. Louis. One group departed on Thursday, 25 October, aboard the river boat, Uncle Tom , and arrived in St. Louis about a week later on 2 November. Here, some important events occurred for the Cowans.
Andrew Cowan and Ann Smellie were married in St. Louis. Before leaving Scotland, they had "submitted their names for proclamation of banns," but the ceremony did not take place then. Ann was baptized in St. Louis, and on 17 November 1849 she was finally married to Andrew by Nathaniel Felt, a Latter-day Saint elder. Agnes Barrie Cowan, the mother in the family, passed away at about this time, although no definite record of her death has been found.
Because the immigrants arrived in America late in the season, they spent the winter in St. Louis where some four to five thousand Latter-day Saints were located.
Part of the Cowan family made the trek to Utah in 1850. According to one tradition they arrived with the Levi Stewart company on 17 September. Another report states that Ann Smellie Cowan crossed the plains with the Jedediah M. Grant freighting company, walking part of the way and arriving in October. The hardship of such a journey is underscored by the fact that her first son, John Smellie Cowan, was born on the 20th of that month in Salt Lake City.
Because the family's resources were just about exhausted, some of the sons had remained in St. Louis to earn additional funds. Two laborers, James and Robert Cowan, are included in the 1851 St. Louis city directory.
Various records confirmed the early arrival of Cowan family members in Utah. The 1850 Utah census (which was actually made in 1851) included Andrew and Ann Cowan 26, John Cowan 60, and Alexander Cowan 20, all living in the same Salt Lake City household. Church records first mention William in October 1851, Margaret Henderson in November, and Robert in February 1852.
What eventually happened to James Henderson, Margaret's husband, is not known. By 1850 she and her children (except Agness) had reached the Latter-day Saint settlements in Iowa, and by November 1851, she was in the Salt Lake Valley.
Margaret was endowed 1 March 1852 and sealed on the same day to William Tattersall, a native of Barbados in the West Indies. In the mid-1850s he was living in the Willow Creek area of southeastern Salt Lake Valley. After this date no record has been found of William or Margaret Cowan Henderson Tattersall. At least two of her children went to live with her brothers--Robert with Alexander, and Elizabeth with William.
Histories of the Salt Lake Fifth Ward, where most of the Cowans settled, indicate that the first to move into the ward's boundaries, Thomas Winter, established his residence on the southwest corner of 7th South and 4th (now 500) West in 1850. Andrew and Robert Cowan and their families were the next arrivals. By 1851 Andrew had located on the east side of 3rd (now 400) West between 6th and 7th South, and Robert had settled his family on the southwest corner of 2nd (now 300) West and 6th South. When the ward was officially organized on 11 April 1853, Thomas Winter became bishop with Robert Cowan as his first counselor. Robert served until moving from the ward in 1855. Following this move, nothing further is known of him, although his wife Hannah and her two sons by her first marriage were still living in the ward in 1860.
James, the oldest of the Cowan sons, was apparently the last to remain in St. Louis. His family crossed the plains in 1853 with a group known as the "St. Louis Company" because many of its families had stopped there. They left in small groups from Keokuk, Iowa, and arrived at Kanesville June 11. Here the 295 persons were organized under the leadership of Moses Clawson. Because the Missouri River was flooding, they were unable to cross to the west bank until June 29. As these pioneers crossed the plains, run-away teams caused frequent problems, although nobody was hurt. The group as a whole enjoyed good health which "exceeded expectations." They passed Fort Laramie August 7, and arrived in the Salt Lake Valley about September 15.
James moved with his family to Slaterville in northern Utah. His son James, Jr., married Priscilla Slater in 1857; she was the daughter of Richard Slater, the pioneer for whom the town was named. Another son, Robert, married Naomi Reed in 1875. Both sons had several children and left a numerous posterity in northern Utah.
According to family tradition, John Cowan died in Spanish Fork in August of 1858. No other records have been found to confirm this information.
John had been living with his son Andrew in the Salt Lake Fifth Ward, and Andrew continued to live in that same location. Why, then, did John die in Spanish Fork, about 60 miles south of Salt Lake City? Utah history may give the answer. In 1857 the Mormons learned of the approach of a hostile army led by Col. Albert Sidney Johnston. On 21 March 1858, Brigham Young called on the Saints to again abandon their homes rather than fight the army. This resulted in a mass exodus from northern Utah known as the "move south." Many relocated to Utah Valley. By July 1, however, a peaceful settlement had been reached, and Church leaders initiated the return to the Salt Lake Valley. It may be that because of illness John remained in Spanish Fork where he died.
The Cowan's youngest son, Alexander, born in 1830, was one of the first family members to come to Utah, arriving in 1850. Three years later he and his older brother James accompanied Apostle Orson Hyde in founding Fort Supply, a Latter-day Saint outpost in what is now southwestern Wyoming. Alexander also served during the Black Hawk and Walker Indian Wars.
In 1854 Alexander married Alison (or Eilley) Orrum in Salt Lake City. She was a convert from Scotland who had left her first husband, Stephen Hunter, when he entered plural marriage. Alexander and Eilley probably had no children.
Alexander was one of thirty-five men who accompanied Elder Hyde on another colonizing mission in 1855 this time to Carson Valley in what is now western Nevada. With Alexander went his bride and his eleven year old nephew, Robert Henderson (Margaret's son). The group left Salt Lake May 17 and arrived at Mormon Station in Carson Valley on June 15 after a difficult journey. Eilley was one of probably only fifteen women in all of Nevada at that time. On his Washoe Valley ranch, Alexander pioneered the development of irrigation. There were rich mineral deposits on his property, and the famed "Comstock Lode" was discovered in the area a few years later. With the approach of Johnston's army in 1858, Church leaders called the Carson Valley settlers to return to Utah. Eilley refused to go back with Alexander so divorced him. She eventually remarried and became known as the "Silver Queen of the Comstock."
After returning to Salt Lake City, Alexander met Jane Mitchell, a native of Aberdeen, Scotland who had recently come to Utah by means of handcart. They were married on 22 January 1860. While is Salt Lake City, Alexander helped drain swamps in the southwestern portion of the city and also helped haul granite for the temple.
Beginning in 1860 the Church sent men with ox teams back to the Missouri River to help immigrants reach Utah. Alexander and others received this teamster assignment like a mission call. Among those he assisted in 1861 was Elizabeth Raetz, a dressmaker, who was born 20 April 1834 in Bern County, Switzerland. She became his second wife.
Unlike family members who remained in Salt Lake City only a brief time before moving elsewhere, Andrew lived the rest of his life in the same 5th Ward neighborhood near the intersection of 6th South and 3rd (now 400) West. He and Ann Smellie became the parents of eight children, born between 1850 and 1866. Two of their sons, James and Alexander, married sisters Jane and Ellen Brimley, respectively, in a double wedding at the Endowment House in 1876. The brides were both daughters of Richard Brimley, a convert from England who served for many years as bishop of the Fifth Ward. While most of Andrew Cowan's children and their families remained in the Salt Lake area, three of his children did not. His oldest son, John Smellie Cowan, settled in Nephi, Utah (about 90 miles south of Salt Lake City). Two daughters, Ann Elizabeth (who married Charles I. Durrans) and Agnes (the wife of Timothy J. Winter, son of the Fifth Ward's first bishop), established their homes in Rexburg, Idaho.
Margaret Dalgleish, a native of Belfast, Ireland, who with the Cowans had been a member of the Campsie Branch in Scotland, became Andrew's second wife. Through assistance from the Perpetual Emigrating Fund, she sailed from Liverpool for New York on 3 May 1856 aboard the Thorton. She left Iowa City by handcart on 15 July and arrived in Salt Lake City 9 November 1856. She was a member of the ill-fated James G. Willie company, a fifth of whose members died when trapped in Wyoming by early snows. Provisions were scarce and she sold her jewelry and other keepsakes to buy food. When she finally reached a high point in the mountains where she could see the Salt Lake Valley, she was so sick of the "long push," that she shoved her detested handcart over the edge and "let it slide down the ravine into the canyon" below. This incidence provided the inspiration for an account included in Gerald Lund's best seller on the handcart pioneers. She was sealed and Anne Smellie was sealed or resealed to Andrew on 12 April 1857. Margaret and Andrew became the parents of three children, born in Salt Lake City between 1859 and 1863.
A plasterer by profession, Andrew worked on both the Salt Lake Temple and Tabernacle. At the time of his death on 24 June 1890 following a six-month illness, he was described as a "much respected citizen of the Fifth Ward." Several of his descendants have occupied positions of responsibility in both Church and community.
After his arrival in Utah, probably in 1851, William Cowan also settled in Salt Lake City. He married Mary Brown and on 2 November 1852 he was sealed to her. Like the Cowans she was a native of Campsie and was baptized in 1842, so was acquainted with them in the small LDS branch there before they left for America. Among William and Mary's descendants are the Cowans in Teton County, Idaho. Their daughter Agnes (1858-1936) who married Orson Rumel, was particularly active in Cowan genealogy, and at the time of her death was described as a "prominent Salt Lake Pioneer" and "faithful Church member."
In 1867 William Cowan married a second wife, Jane Stoner from Sussex, England. She had come to Utah the year before, walking most of the way from the Missouri River. William and Jane became the parents of eight children, all born in Salt Lake City between 1868 and 1879.
Despite poor health, William worked as a clerk in Teasdale's store to earn a living for his families. In 1885 William Cowan was arrested on the charge of "unlawful cohabitation."
Testimony during the hearing indicated that the two wives lived in adjoining houses. Because Mary had been an invalid, for the past seven and a half years, she agreed that William should live with Jane in her home at 547 South East Temple (now Main St.). "The family lived in entire peace as one family" William supported Mary, and visited her regularly when he came home for meals. Furthermore, Jane cared for Mary when the latter's daughter was absent. Although William lived with Jane, "he held both women to be his wives; the arrangement between them was perfectly satisfactory to all."
Mary, though an invalid, was described as an active member of the 8th Ward at the time of her death 10 May 1893. William also remained a faithful Latter-day Saint, being ordained a high priest in February, 1894. At the time of his death, 13 January 1896, of "general debility," his residence was at 637 South 4th East in the 8th Ward. His second wife, Jane died in 1919.
John Cowan and Agnes Barrie were the parents of 10 children. At least 53 grandchildren (including Robert's four Fairclough stepchildren) and 169 great grandchildren are known. These descendants as well as those of later generations are scattered primarily throughout the western United States. This numerous posterity can well be proud of the heritage of faithfulness, courage, and service received from the Cowan ancestors.
1. At the time John was endowed, he gave his birth date as 2 August 1782 (although other sources suggest 1784) and listed his parents as James Cowan and Mary. Further research has suggested that his father was James Cowan born in Fintry (near Campsie) in 1751, and that his mother was Mary Gibson. Other children in the family included William 1777-1861, James 1788-?, and Mary 1795-?.
2. Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, 1846.
3. "John B. Cowan and Son: History of Alexander Cowan," by John Mitchell Cowan.
4. Campsie Parish Record, 7 August 1808 (Family History Library Film 102103).
5. Undocumented family traditions state that Mary was married to John Donelson or Donaldson. (For example, Pioneers and Prominent Men of Utah, p. 823, gives her husband's name as Donelson; the Ancestral File list it as Donaldson.) No such marriage has been confirmed. When she was endowed vicariously in 1904, her death date was given as "about 1890" (Temple Index Bureau [TIB] card).
6. Campsie Parish register.
7. Agness' birth on 12 August and her Christening on 1 September 1833 are recorded in the Campsie Parish register (Film 102103). The Campsie LDS branch membership list (Film 104150) indicates that James was born in about 1836 and John in about 1838, both in Cumbersdale, Carlisle, Cumberland, England. The 1850 census of Pottawatomie County, Iowa (p. 251, family 984) lists Margaret Henderson (age 35 from Scotland) as head of the family, with the following children all born in England: James age 13, John 11, Robert 7, and Elizabeth 4.
8. International Genealogical Index (IGI).
9. Endowment House Book A page 26 states that Hannah was born in Manchester on 25 November 1798, to George and Elizabeth Dickinson.
10. The IGI records Hannah Dickinson's marriage to James Fairclough in Manchester on 5 April 1820, and indicates that this couple was sealed vicariously in 1975 (although Hannah was sealed to Robert Cowan during her lifetime). The IGI lists seven children born to James and Hannah (or Ann) Fairclough: Mary Ann, 15 July 1821 (dates referring to Christening); James, 2 March 1823; Elizabeth, 11 January 1825; Richard, 17 July 1825; Sarah, 26 June 1826; Thomas, 8 January 1832; Peter, 10 March 1833. Obviously, all these children could not have been born to the same mother, as Elizabeth and Richard's dates are too close. Only Mary Ann, James, Sarah, and Peter are definitely linked with Robert and Hannah Cowan in later records. What happened to Hannah's first husband is not known.
11. TIB cards indicate Robert was baptized in August of 1840 and Hannah on 2 September 1840. The Campsie LDS Branch record (104150), however, indicates that Mary Ann was baptized on 18 July 1841, Robert on 7 August 1841, and Hannah on 1 September 1841.
12. Patriarchal Blessing 208:50 given on 1 November 1841 by J. Alviston.
13. Margetts Index.
14. Letter from David Wilkie, 31 March 1842, in "History of the British Mission," 2:191, MS in Church Archives; Campsie Branch MS History.
15. Conway B. Sonne, Ships, Saints, and Mariners (Salt Lake City: University of Utah Press, 1987), pp. 111-13.
16. The British Mission emigration register and the Port of New Orleans Passenger List.
17. Frederic Gardener, A Mormon Rebel: The Life and Travels of Frederick Gardiner , Hugh Garner, ed. Pp. 10-13.
18. Letter from Thomas H. Clark, 22 October 1849, in Millennial Star Vol. 11:363.
19. Star , p. 36; see also Robert Knell, Reminiscences and diary (MS 1678), LDS Church History Archive.
20. Campsie Parish Register 15 August 1848.
21. Obituary of Ann Smellie Cowan, Deseret News , 19 April 1902, p. 2.
22. Missouri marriage certificate.
23. When Agnes Cowan was endowed vicariously, in 1886, the year of her death was given as 1849. One family tradition indicates that she became ill during the six-week voyage, died, and was buried at sea. (John B. Cowan and Son: History of Alexander Cowan by John Mitchell Cowan.) If she were sailing on the James Pennell with other family members, the favorable reports of this voyage, plus the fact that she is not included in Sumerset House list of deaths at sea, would contradict this tradition. A family group record indicates that she died in St. Louis in 1850. No record has been found to confirm any of these claims.
24. Pioneers and Prominent Men of Utah , "History of Alexander Cowan and his wife Jane by His Son." No record has been found of a Levi Stewart Company, however, so it is impossible to say which family members may have been included.
25. Obituary of Ann Smellie Cowan, Deseret News , 19 April 1902, p. 2; letter from Otellie Atkinson to Richard Cowan, Nov 1981; Gene A. Sessions, Mormon Thunder: A Documentary History of Jedediah Morgan Grant (Urbana: University of Illinois Press, 1982), pp. 79-84. The Cowans have not been found in the official lists of 1850 immigrants.
26. Andrew ordained seventy 23 February 1851; William was re-baptized 26 October 1851 (rebap. 1808:75); Margaret Henderson re-baptized 2 November 1851 (rebap. 1808:82); Alexander patriarchal blessing 9 December 1851 (33:373); Ann re-baptized 14 December 1851; Andrew endowed 17 December 1851; Robert and Hannah endowed and sealed 7 February 1852; William endowed 31 January 1852; Margaret endowed 1 March 1852; Mary Brown and William patriarchal blessings 18 April 1852 (12:111-112); John endowed 21 July 1852.
27. The 1850 Pottawatamie County, Iowa census (p. 251, family 984) lists Margaret Henderson (age 35 from Scotland) as head of the family, with the following children all born in England: James age 13, John 11, Robert 7, and Elizabeth 4. Margaret was re-baptized 2 November 1851.
28. William Tattersall was born 6 November 1802 to Thomas and Frances Stewart Tattersall. He was re-baptized 6 November 1850 (his 48th birthday) in Salt Lake City (rebapt. 1808:69). A patriarchal blessing 8 December 1850 by John Smith declared him to be of Ephraim (Book 131 pp. 158-159.)
29. He was ordained a high priest 9 April 1854 (High Priest Book T, p. 33) and received a second patriarchal blessing from Charles W. Hyde at North Willow Creek on 30 May 1855 (Pat. Bless. Book 77, p. 73).
30. The 1860 Utah census lists Elizabeth, age 13, born in England, as one of the children of William and May Cowan; thus she would have been born at least four years before this couple married. Her birthplace and year of birth do, however, match well with Margaret Cowan Henderson's daughter.
31. Jesse E. Drury, "Some Interesting Historical Data of the Fifth Ward, Salt Lake City, Utah"; See also Fifth Ward: A Century of Spiritual Guidance, 1853-1953 ; The 1860 Utah Census lists the following family in the Fifth Ward: Peter Fairclough, 27, stone cutter; James Fairclough, 37, machinist; Ann (should be Hannah) Cowan, 69; all were from England (p. 113, No. 495).
32. Journal History, 7 August 1853, pp. 4-5; 19 August 1853, pp. 5-7. James' wife Janet and their daughter Agness were re-baptized, and their son Robert received his original baptism (even though records suggest he had not yet turned eight) on 27 May 1854 in Salt Lake City; (Rebap. 1808:76). James was endowed 3 November 1855.
33. The Index to Utah County Cemeteries , 1996, does not include any reference to John Cowan. When so William had his parents sealed vicariously at the Logan Temple in 1886, he stated that John had died in 1858 (Logan sealings for the dead, Book B, p. 109). The "History of Alexander Cowan 1830-1918," for example, states that John died in Spanish Fork.
34. Journal History 19 August 1853, p. 7; 1 December 1853, p. 3.
35. Thomas H. Thompson and Albert A. West, History of Nevada (Oakland, 1881), p. 95; Alice B. Addenbrooke. The Mistress of the Mansion (Palo Alto: Pacific Books, n.d.), pp. 7-12; Territorial Record Book of Carson City; Daughters of the Utah Pioneers files; "History of Alexander Cowan" by Viola Cowan; "History of Alexander Cowan and Wife Jane."
36. Jane was born 24 July 1835 to William Mitchell and Helen (or Ellen) Legg. On 23 August 1869, nine years after Jane's marriage to Alexander, he was also sealed to her mother Helen who had been widowed in 1965 and had come to live with Alexander and Jane (Endowment House sealings, Book F, entry 13821; 1870 Payson, Utah County census, p. 243). Helen died less than five years later on 11 May 1874. Twenty years later, Alexander and Jane went to the Manti Temple where they participated in the ordinance sealing Helen to her original husband, William Mitchell.
37. Margaret was born 2 May 1827 to Alexander Dalgleish and his wife Elizabeth.
38. Journal History 3 May 1856, p. 5.
39. A sketch of the life of Margaret Dalgleish Cowan, "A pioneer of 1856" by Louise Cowan, in Daughters of Utah Pioneers Archives; Published in Heartthrobs of the West , 1:82.
40. Gerald N. Lund, Fire of the Covenant: A novel of the Willie and Martin Handcart Companies (Salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1999), pp.685-86; see his explanatory not on p. 702.
41. Endowment House living sealings, Book C, pp.174-75. A family tradition suggests that Andrew and Ann were originally sealed between the births of their sons John and James, perhaps at the time they both were endowed on 17 December 1851; this would make the 1857 ordinance a re-sealing, just as many of the Saints at that time were being re-baptized (Otellie Atkinson to Richard Cowan, Nov. 1981). No record of this earlier sealing has been found.
42. Deseret Evening News , 24 June 1890.
43. The sealing record does not mention their already being married, but over six months earlier, on 18 April 1852 William and Mary received their patriarchal blessings together (Pat. Bless. 12:111-112) and she gave her name as Mary Brown Cowan.
44. Mary Brown Cowan was born 19 March 1819 to William Brown, and Mary was baptized 23 May 1842. After coming to Utah she received two patriarchal blessings from John Smith, 18 April 1852 and 12 June 1871, and was declared to be of Ephraim in both blessings. TIB: Pat. Bless. 12:112 and 47:155.
45. Salt Lake Tribune , 15 April 1936, p. 11.
46. TIB: obituary of Jane Stoner in Deseret News June 1919, p. 86. Jane Stoner was born 13 November 1837 to William Stoner and Harriet Davis and was baptized 24 February 1852. She was endowed and sealed to William Cowan 30 March 1867; Mary was also resealed to him on this same occasion. TIB: Jane and Mary both received patriarchal blessings 12 June 1871. Pat. Bless. 47:155-156.
47. Deseret News , 10 November 1885, in Journal History pp. 3-4.
48. Obituary in Deseret News , 11 May 1893, p. 5.
49. Early Church Information Index; obituary Deseret News , 14 January 1896, p. 2.